About Greener Practice
Greener Practice is a network created to help GPs raise awareness of the health benefits of climate action. It started in 2017 in South Yorkshire and has since grown to become nationwide, aiming to take practical steps towards greener and more sustainable practice. We are hoping to attain our bronze award for the Green Impact For Health Toolkit (GIFH) by 2022.
At Deepcar Medical Centre we are aiming to reduce our carbon footprint and help meet the government’s target of Net-Zero emissions by 2050. Climate change poses serious risks for the health of our patients, and we aim to reduce these risks as far as possible.
What We’re Doing to Help
To help reduce emissions and improve patient care, we’re currently doing the following:
- Gathering information to calculate our carbon footprint- helping us identify the areas where we can reduce.
- Educating staff and patients on greener prescribing, helping switch to equally effective inhalers which release less greenhouse gases.
What you can do to Help
If you’re interested in reducing your emissions, here are a few things you can do:
- Ensure you’re making full use of your inhalers before getting rid of them- and when you are finished, see if your local pharmacy is recycling them.
- If you find yourself not using all of your medication, have a discussion with your doctor about changing your prescription’s.
- Calculate your own carbon footprint here: WWF – Carbon Footprint Calculator.
- Make the easy switch from your current search-engine to Ecosia, the search engine which plants trees.
- If possible, use public transport, walk, or bike when you need to travel short distances.
- Try and reduce your meat intake.